Fattorie Garofalo Campania Buffalo Mozzarella POD is made with 100% buffalo milk from the PDO areas indicated by the Consortium.
Pure art! Apart from its typical rounded shape, we also make it bite-sized and in braid formats.
Buffalo mozzarella has taken over the world with its flavor and its versatility in the kitchen: it can be enjoyed alone, with vegetables or cold cuts, and in many other ways. Whatever the way, this tasty dish does not require any special preparations.
With 38 million liters of milk processed every year, Fattorie Garofalo is the largest buffalo milk processing company worldwide.
An astonishing quantity of milk that allows us to produce and sell over 10 million kg of products every year.
Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO: the disciplinary
Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO is defined as a table spun cheese curd made exclusively from whole buffalo milk, as indicated in the Disciplinary set forth in DPR 28/9/1979.
How to recognize Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO
How Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO is made
Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO is made according to a process that keeps its allure unaltered over the centuries.
The right balance between tradition and innovation is a key factor, to keep the taste of buffalo mozzarella intact, and, at the same time, to ensure it is checked, traced and safe, along every step of its processing and distribution.
Only buffalo milk for mozzarella PDO
The milk used to make Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO comes from certified Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO buffalo holdings.
This means that, not only do the holdings need to be located in the PDO area, but also all the buffaloes that make the milk must be born in the PDO area.
The milk allowed for production must have a minimum protein content of 4.2%, and a minimum fat content of 7.2%.
All the milk that gets into Fattorie Garofalo’s industrial factories is suitable for Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO.
Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO must contain only 100% certified buffalo milk.
Suitable buffalo milk is preheated to 33-39°C. Then, natural whey culture from previous day processing is added to the milk.
- WHEY CULTUREIt contains lactic flora and is used to acidify the milk and prepare it for the coagulation and spinning phases.
- FILATUREIt is carried out in the heaters, only with natural veal rennet.
Curd breaking and aging
Milk thickens, due to the curd, and in just a few minutes the caseating clumps are broken with a tool called “spino” until they are the size of a walnut.
Then the milk solid and liquid phases are separated:
- LIQUID PHASEIs removed by collecting it, it is the sweet whey that will be used to make the ricotta cheese.
- THE SOLID PHASE IS THE CURDLeft to acidify in the whey, until it is aged enough to be spun by the cheesemaker. This is the longest phase in the production process, lasting around 5 hours.
This is the time required by lactic bacteria introduced with the whey culture to react, in order to spin the curd, and, at the same time, help build the product’s flavor.
- It is then cut into strips and spun with boiling water.
- The curd at the right level of aging is placed on tables where the residual whey is purged.
- The spinning test consists in adding boiling water to approx. half a kilo of shredded curd, which, once it is mixed until it melts, it is then stretched by hand and a wooden stick: it is extends evenly without breaking up, it is deemed “ready” for the following spinning phase.
- Contact between high-temperature water and curd melts the mass, which is constantly lifted and pulled to obtain a single even bulk.
- Today, this process is carried out with modern thermal-spinning machines.
Forming and salting
The result of the curd spinning process is spun cheese curd, which is now ready to become Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO in the different formats allowed by the production Disciplinary.
The typical rounded shape can be obtained manually, leaving the characteristic mustache, or with forming machines, which produce sizes with a preset weight.
Campania Buffalo Mozzarella PDO is then placed in cold water tanks to ensure the first thickening, which is then completed in other tanks containing salt solutions that give the right degree of saltiness to the product.